• image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image

Our Work Today & Diocesan Contacts

Rate this item
(1 Vote)

Armidale

The Catholic Women’s League was established in the Armidale Diocese in 1962. We have branches at Tamworth, Quirindi, Moree, Armidale, Guyra, Gunnedah and Warialda.

Members are active in social justice matters both locally and nationally. We support our Bioethics and Social Responsibility Convenors and are involved in inter-church activities. We foster a strong commitment to our Catholic Faith through our loyalty and support of the clergy. And, although we are not a fundraising organisation, we financially support worthy charities in times of need.

We have recently established affiliated groups in our parishes called Catholic Women Connecting which are open to young women. These groups encourage friendship and support to younger mothers and also single women.

Contact details for the League in Armidale are:

Diocesan President: Mrs Robyn Judge (02) 6772 2434
Diocesan Secretary: Mrs Valmai Hunt (02) 6772 3073

Bathurst

Contact details for the League in Bathurst are:

Diocesan President: Mrs Dawn Fraser (02) 6351 3041
Diocesan Secretary: Mrs Pat Okon (02) 6353 1351

Broken Bay

In 1986, the Archdiocese of Sydney was divided into three, creating the Archdiocese of Sydney, the Diocese of Parramatta and the Diocese of Broken Bay. The Diocese of Broken Bay covering an area of 2,763 square kilometres is nominally divided into three separate geographic regions; the Peninsular, has parishes from Manly to Avalon; the North Shore from Chatswood north to Arcadia and Berowra; and the Central Coast from Woy Woy to Toukley, Wyong and Warnervale.

There are nine branches of the Catholic Women’s League within the Broken Bay Diocese. The Peninsula has Manly, Manly Vale, Narraweena and Frenchs Forest and the Central Coast has Gosford/Wyoming, Kincumber, Terrigal/Erina, The Entrance and Toukley/Lake Munmorah.

The Diocese of Broken Bay currently has 304 very active and involved members. Whilst Broken Bay is a fairly new Diocese, our oldest CWL Branch, Manly, was founded in 1937.

The Catholic Women’s League Diocese of Broken Bay enjoys a warm, supportive relationship with our Bishop, David Walker, and the Diocesan Curia. We welcome and encourage new members to join us and become part of our community.

Contact details for the League in Broken Bay are:

Diocesan President: Ms Moya Fleming (02) 9948 8044
Diocesan Secretary: Mrs Pauline O’Malley (02) 4358 1523

Lismore

Contact details for the League in Lismore are:

Diocesan President: Mrs Teresa McKinnon (02) 6655 5477
Diocesan Secretary: Mrs Wendii Heffernan (02) 6586 4572

Maitland/Newcastle

The League commenced in the Maitland Diocese on 19th July 1940 with a meeting in the Cathedral Hall, West Maitland. This meeting was attended by 300 women and girls, who enrolled in the then ‘League of Women’ and the ‘Catholic League of Patriotic Girls’. Bishop E. Gleeson CSSR, presided at the meeting, and it was also attended by very Rev. Dr Tweedy Administrator, West Maitland, Mrs Haggerty, Vice President of the Legion of Catholic Women, Sydney, and Miss M. Murray, State Secretary of the Catholic League of Patriotic Girls.

The League has been very active in the Diocese ever since! We are very grateful to be part of a much wider group of committed Catholic women. We welcome and encourage new members to join us and become part of our community.

Contact details for the League in Maitland/Newcastle are:

Diocesan President: Margo Nancarrow (02) 4982 3837 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Diocesan Secretary: Marion Gardner (02) 4950 9641 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Parramatta

In 1986, the Diocese of Parramatta was established as a separate entity, no longer a part of the Archdiocese of Sydney. The League was established in the Diocese shortly thereafter in October 1986.

Today, our membership is just under 130 women meeting monthly in eight Branches. We also have diocesan members. For our some members, the League provides the companionship of like-minded people, mutual support and a sense of belonging to an extended family at a time in their lives when many are living alone and, feeling the isolation and loneliness of aging years. Others enjoy our Diocesan gatherings, spirituality days and other events which we organise for the women in our community.

We are a vital part of the Parramatta Diocese! We welcome and encourage new members to join us and become part of our community.

Contact details for the League in Parramatta:

Diocesan President: Mrs Kath Sayer (02) 9639 5165
Diocesan Secretary: Mrs Gladys Meaney-Budd (02) 4950 9641 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Sydney

The inaugural meeting of the Catholic Women’s Association (CWA) was held in April 1913 with the approval and patronage of Archbishop Kelly. A provisional committee was formed with Mrs Esther Cannon as President. Taking their lead from the Catholic Women’s League in England, the CWA declared themselves to be a nonpartisan organisation. We owned a hostel for business girls in Strathfield (among many properties the League has owned over the years). After this closed, Marian Court was built in Strathfield and officially opened in June 1965 with 78 units providing low-cost accommodation for 84 older people. These units have undergone major refurbishments over the years and still remain the “jewel in the crown” of CWL Sydney.

If you would like to know more our work today, please go to our website

Contact details for the League in Sydney:

E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Address: Level 8 Polding Centre, 133 Liverpool Street, Sydney, 2000

Wollongong

The Parish Priest of Bulli, Fr M. O’Reilly, organised the first meeting of CWL in the Wollongong Diocese in March 1953. Our Camden branch was formed in March 1960, followed by Campbelltown, The Oaks and Wollongong branches in 1962.

Today we have nineteen 19 CWL branches in the Diocese with approximately 410 members.

Contact details for the League in Wollongong are:

Diocesan President: Mrs Sue Meehan (02) 4271 4190
Diocesan Secretary: Mrs Anne Kelly (02) 4271 6128